Interview provide by heavygunblog.com
1. How did you get the name DJ Spoolz?
Answer: I’m awesome at sewing… hahahah, naw man, my last name is Spoolstra, and friends have always called me “Spool” or “Spooly” or “Spoolz” or somethin’ like that… Spoolz was the one I liked the most.
2. Name three things you would change about hip hip right now.
Answer: The only thing I’d change is to have substantive, conscious hip hop played on a commercial level. I think that would force mc’s to actually pay attention to their skills, and not focus on trying to shock people or rap about money and shit all of the time. Like my man Yeti One said, “What happened to the days when it was all about steez?”
3. If you stopped listening to hiphop today what would you be playing in the car?
Answer: Old soul music… Marvin Gaye, Curtis Mayfield, Al Green, stuff like that… or classic rock, or reggae…
4. How much do you like Drake?
Answer: Hahahaha… Drake is cool at what he does, but I really don’t listen to his music.
5. What song on your new album “Atavism” do you like the most?
Answer: Make It Easy. I like the way the MC’s all share the verses together, and I was fairly pleased with the scratches I did for the hook.
6. How much do you hate Bun B?
Answer: Hahaha… I don’t hate Bun B at all, man… I’m a big fan, actually. I’ve been listening to UGK since I was like 12.
7. What is your 1st creative step when someone sends you a song that they need scratched on?
Answer: The first thing I do is listen to the song several times… I listen to it two or three times and listen to just the lyrics, then a few more times and listen to just the beat.. then a couple more times. The message the emcees are trying to get across, along with the overall vibe of the track, are typically what sparks my mind as far as what I want to scratch.
8. What are you looking forward to in 2012?
Answer: Man there’s a lot to look forward to this year. Continue pushing The Proforms album (Atavism- available on iTunes, Amazon, Rhapsody, Spotify, and every other major digital outlet) and making new music, working on new projects with Scoot Dubbs, and working hard to get Cut Camp on the map!!
9. Quick, name 3 songs that you have on repeat right now!
Answer: Brunch by Action Bronson, Refresh by Hinx Jones, and Excursions by A Tribe Called Quest… amongst many others hahaha.